OEIS on vacation in December

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Dec 6 20:36:20 CET 2006

I don't think there's anybody who has made more than a handful of
contributions to the OEIS (and not many of those with only a few,
either) who has not contributed a number of very good sequences.

On the other hand, I don't think there's anybody who has made more than
a handful of contributions who hasn't contributed at least a few
sequences of little or no value (myself included).

I've been trying to avoid pointing fingers here, and I going to
continue avoiding it.

What I am saying is, think twice before submitting anything.  Ask
yourself,
* is this really of general interest?
* do I have arbitrary parameters in this sequence?  If so, are they as
simple as possible?
* is the definition as simple as possible, or are there extra
conditions which could be removed without changing the general behavior
of the sequence?  (For an extreme example, A067992 used to have the
condition a(n+1) != a(n).  The sole effect of removing this condition
was to add an additional 1 at the beginning of the sequence.)

In particular, sequences "primes of the form ..." (or "primes in A...")
and "n such that ... is prime" (or "indices of primes in A...") are
unlikely to be of any independent interest.  (The sequence of primes is
sufficiently irregular that it is nearly certain that these will not
match any sequence from any other branch of mathematics,  nor even a
sequence of primes from some other sequence.)  The main sequences have
already had these done; don't do it unless there is some reason why
primes in this particular sequence are of interest.  (This goes for
semiprimes, too.)

If you're considering submitting a whole family of sequences, you
probably shouldn't.  In addition to the questions above, ask yourself,
* Can I pick out one or a few typical examples, and just submit those?
* Is there an array or other table I can submit, instead of individual
sequences?

If you still think you want to submit the whole family, I would
recommend asking the seqfan group before proceeding.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters