sequences of marginal interest

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Fri Dec 15 02:06:03 CET 2006

* N. J. A. Sloane <njas at research.att.com> [Dec 15. 2006 10:52]:

> Seidov maintains that his sequence really is interesting,
> so I have restored it.

I'd much appreciate to see the reason.

> A second reason is that I have been flooded with equally
> boring sequences from other people, who perhaps are not
> members of this mailing list, or who cannot
> understand English, or both.  And I am faced
> with choosing between rejecting them all - and there are
> a lot - or accepting them all. I chose the latter.
>
> NJAS

I'd recommend to reject almost all.  If no link to anything is given
(with the submission) and _you_ cannot see within 3 seconds why the
sequence could ever be interesting it is very likely that the sequence
is completely useless and so will lessen the value of the database.

A technical trick might be to postpone (possibly indefinitely)
submissions of contrived sequences.

Another one is to leave out the contrived stuff with searches (by
default).  A version of the "stripped.gz" file without the dumb stuff
would be highly appreciated by myself.

With my searches the hits with A-nums >60,000 or so are almost always
noise.  Very often those "high hits" are duplicates of lower A-num
sequences with trivial variations of the initial terms.

My concern is that a thing similar to that described below might happen
to the OEIS:
There is some database about floating point numbers somewhere online.
At some point in time the database was flooded with polylog values.
This rendered the whole thing useless, the only thing to learn there
is that any random number is close to some completely uninteresting
expression of polylogs.

Our polylogs are the contrived sequences.