sequences of marginal interest

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:02:31 CET 2006

Either Neil J. A. Sloane is correct, or he has erred on the side of
democracy. This is an interesting experiment.  I wonder if even some seqfans
who have complained about rejection will reconsider the matter when their
sequences are diluted by increasingly (to them) uninteresting sequences.

On one hand, the "less", "uned", "probation", "obsc" keywords seemed to be a
sophisticated solution.  On the other hand, the matters of subjectivity,
non-seqfandom, and non-English have been raised.

In addition, for those seeking academic promotion or tenure, a strength of
OEIS is the distinguished editorial board.  The (temporary?) waiver of the
board's ability to reject sequences may degrade some universities'
evaluation of "publication" on EIS as some non-zero weighted electronic
journal publication.  Some universities already have committees that
evaluate electronic journal publication as equivalent to hardcopy journal
presentation, which is usually weighted above Proceedings publication (in
all but the most pretigious conferences), and below book publication.

I am trying not to take sides, but am noting the question of whether
applicants for Math postdocs and professorships should mention their OEIS
publications in their CVs, along with book, journal, electronic journal
presentations, and Erdos number. Papers have been published on various ways
for weighting publications based on prestige of the journal and number of
coauthors.  This is not a trivial concern.

I apologize for too many OEIS submissions and seqfans emails myself, but
thought that this meta-issue was worthy of thought, and applaud Dr. Sloane
for what I know to be deep thought and considerable wrestling with the
matter.

-- Jonathan Vos Post