First Occurrence Of Floor(m/d(m))

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sun Dec 31 15:16:18 CET 2006

In these cases, empirical evidence sometimes gives us a feel for what the
answer might be.

For example, with Goldbach's conjecture, if we look at the graph of A045917,
we see the general upward trend of the number of Goldbach partitions of 2n.
Unfortunately, our good friend Tony Noe has not yet added the b-file, or
else I'm sure we would the trend would be much more convincing. In this
case, the visual evidence is supported by statistical estimates of the
number of Goldbach partitions of 2n there should be. This gives us a warm
fuzzy that Goldbach's conjecture should be true.

Obviously, such visual evidence is not proof can be misleading (vis Merten's
conjecture), but it can give us a working opinion.

I suggest you graph the number f(n) = |{m: floor(m/d(m)) = n}|. It may give
you insight into what to think.

Also, for a few small m, you might want to look at the m for which
floor(m/d(m)) = n on the off chance that there might be an exploitable
pattern (though I'm dubious of a simple one).