The new OEIS search page!!!!!

Graeme McRae g_m at mcraefamily.com
Mon Jan 9 17:45:55 CET 2006

Yes, it's the web browser which is in charge of hyphenating, but it needs
help.  An example of a sequence that breaks inappropriately using Internet
Explorer is http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A56592, which
exhibits bad wrapping at -302332...  As you say, Russ, a line break can
ordinarily follow a regular "hyphen" character.  There is, however, a
Unicode "minus" character, which doesn't cause this wrapping.  In HTML, you
can generate it with & followed by #8722;  I have created two pages with a
whole lot of negative numbers to illustrate this point:

http://mcraeclan.com/test1.htm uses ordinary hyphens as minus signs.  You
will notice the inappropriate line breaks if you are using Internet Explorer
as your browser.

http://mcraeclan.com/test2.htm uses the Unicode "minus" character.  There
are no inappropriate line breaks if you use Internet Explorer.

--Graeme