New lookup suggestion

Alexandre Wajnberg alexandre.wajnberg at skynet.be
Tue Jan 17 03:00:50 CET 2006

> David Wilson suggests:
> In the sequence output, create a link to a page for editing the sequence.

> Neil said
>
> [I don't want to make it too easy for every single user of
> the OEIS to send in his/her comments.  (...)
> And I don't want to make it into a Wiki.
>
> I want to monitor every change myself.  That's the only way
> to maintain our high standards.

Another way to maintain high standards would be: every editing (edited page)
would enter the base iff  n  members of ... let's say... the/a board of
Editors (patented mathematicians or OEIS maintainers or people with Neil
number 1 (like Erdös numbers)) would have validated it.

There are "evident" and easy editing cases, or Comments, for which Neil is
not absolutely necessary, which could go through this pathway.
Only the difficult/particular/special/not evident ones would be reserved for
Neil.

To facilitate this real process of *peer review*, and the communications
between the peers, an easy system would be a sort of mailing-editing list,
only accessible to the Editors:
1) editing pages would be openable only by the Editors (through nominative
secrete keys for instance);
2) the sequences "in editing" or "Commented" would be displayed permanently
to the Editors; the number of checkings/editings (already made) displayed on
top, with the name of the editors and the date of their
editing/checking/Comment;
3) as soon as the fixed number of checkings and countercheckings would be
reached, the edited/commented sequence would automatically enter the base
and replace the "old" sequence output.

If peers don't agree with each other, it's a case of
difficult/particular/special/not evident sequence. Reserved for Neil.

A peer reviewed base would offer a high standard, at least equal to the one
offered by the founder father!

It's just an idea.

A.