Numbers with anticlosed sets of non-squares

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Jan 17 17:43:16 CET 2006

There is a well known result that, modulo any odd prime, every residue is the sum of two squares.  (The proof is fairly simple, using the pigeonhole principle.)  For p > 5, we can show that every residue is the sum of two non-zero squares.  If a + b = 1 with a and b non-zero squares, and r is any non-square, then ra + rb = r is a non-square as the sum of two non-squares.

For any odd p^n, n>1, p + p = 2p is a counterexample.  For 2^n, n>1, 3 + 3 = 6 is a counterexample.

It is straightforward to show that with n, m relatively prime, n*m can only have the property if n and m both do.

To complete the proof, we need only eliminate 15, where 2 + 3 = 5 is a counterexample.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.
Palatine, IL 60067
847-776-7645