Musical sequence

Jon Wild wild at music.mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 18 21:06:23 CET 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, David Wilson wrote:

> Is there a measure of goodness of r that would rate r = 2^(1/12) high?
> Presumably this rating would be based on the closeness of tone ratios to
> simple rationals which represent pleasing harmonies.  Given this rating,
> what would be the best r?  If we return to octave-based scales, could be
> construct a sequence of t with increasingly better ratings of 2^(1/t),
> which would represent increasingly good choices for number of tones in
> an octave?

There are several candidates for such a sequence; they generally include
(5,7,12),19,31,53... (the closeness of 3^53 to a power of 2, which causes
53-tone equal temperament to have an excellent perfect fifth, was
discovered by the Chinese more than 5000 years ago)

As a couple of examples out of hundreds, you could look into Joseph
Yasser's book "A Theory of Evolving Tonality" for precisely what you're
talking about; Norman Carey & David Clampitt's article "Well-formed
Scales" in _Music Theory Spectrum_ for a more mathematical treatment (and
a slightly different series), or see the yahoo discussion groups "tuning"
and "tuning-math" for many, many more details than you'd care to know
about.

Jon

--
Jon Wild