Musical sequence

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Wed Jan 18 21:38:13 CET 2006

I am reminded, of course, of Euler's definition of sweetness W of a
musical chord.
He called it the 'gradus suavitatis' and defined it as follows.
Let the chord be given by natural numbers a, b, c, d. Then

W(a,b,c,d) = g(lcm (a,b,c,d),gcd(a,b,c,d)), where the function g(n) i
defined as
follows:  g(1) = 1;  g(p) =p for any prime p;   g(mn) = g(m) + g(n) -1 for
arbitrary natural numbers n.
Reference: Balthaser van der Pol, Music and elementary theory of numbers,
The Music Review, Vol.7, 1946, pp. 1-25. See his Selected Papers,
Amsterdsam,
1960, Vol. 2, pp. 1101-1125.
An explicit formula is known for writing g(n ) in terms of the
fsactorization  of n.

I wrote a paper on a related function 'Note on functions studied by
LeVan, Chawla, and Euler', Journal of Natural Science and Mathematics,
(Lahore, Pakistan). Vol. 12, No.2,  October, 1972, pp.421-430.  pp. 428
and 429  I presented two tables of values of values that led to the two
sequences

1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, . . .

and

1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 4, 7, 7, 11, 11, 17, 17, 26, 26, 37, 37, . . .

all of which are INTERESTING, being that they are related to musical
chords that sound good!

I have not checked to see if any of this in the OEIS.

Regards,

Henry W. Gould