New lookup screen

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Jan 23 21:26:13 CET 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Zucker joshua.zucker at gmail.com

>Perhaps the  CROSSREFS label in the margin could be a link that brings
>up a page listing all the sequences linked in the crossrefs.  That
>would be nifty.

This would be useful.  If it is implemented, though, it should bring up all sequences listed anywhere in the entry, not just in the crossrefs section.  There are lots of sequences with important references that aren't in the crossrefs.

On the other hand, the value of this has been much reduced by another new feature, which I very much appreciate.  I'm referring to the inclusion of the name of the referenced sequence as a comment to the sequence number.  Now I can just rest my cursor on the reference, and see what the sequence referenced is.

>But sometimes related sequences are described with different terms by
>different users!  I suppose one could always add comments first to
>ensure that the term linking them in your mind actually appears in the
>sequence itself.

That's a very slow way of getting there, given the turnaround time for comments to be processed.

>--Joshua Zucker

If some sort of "or" is implemented at some point, it should be generic, not just for A numbers.  Such a feature would be useful, but it's a relatively small improvement compared to what was just done; it isn't clear that it's worth the required effort.  If it is implemented, I would recommend using the "|" character instead the word "or", as most web search engines do.  So "1,2,6 permutation | partition" would search for sequences containing "1,2,6", and either "permutation" or "partition".
Franklin T. Adams-Watters16 W. Michigan Ave.Palatine, IL 60067847-776-7645
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com