Permutation Its Own Inverse?

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Jul 13 01:22:56 CEST 2006

Yes, it is (its own inverse - it isn't all that easily answered).

It is easiest to subtract out the triangular numbers, making each row
its own permutation:

1
2,1
3,2,1
4,2,3,1
5,3,2,4,1
6,3,2,4,5,1
7,4,3,2,5,6,1

We can now see the rule: if ceiling(n/ceiling(n/k)) = k, then T(n,k) =
ceiling(n/k); otherwise T(n,k) = k.  Equivalently, for each pair i, j
with i*j >= n, but (i-1)*j and i*(j-1) < n, we have T(n,i) = j, T(n,j)
= i.  For any other k, T(n,k) = k.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters