A055779

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Jun 13 03:09:56 CEST 2006

I am unable to make sense of this sequence.  The definition of "fat
tree" reads: "A fat tree on vertex set V is a partition of V together
with edges that link the parts of the partition in a tree-like pattern:
that is, when the parts are collapsed to points, the edges are a tree."
 From offset 1, the first 3 values given are 1,2,10.

This definition doesn't specify whether the vertices are to be
considered distinct (although from context it appears that they are),
nor what kind of tree is meant (the context suggests free trees).
However, none of the available choices produce these numbers.

Distinct vertices, free trees: 1,2,7.
Distinct vertices, rooted trees: 1,3,16.
Identical vertices, free trees: 1,2,3.
Identical vertices, rooted trees: 1,2,5.

There is a formula given, in Tex, but I can't make sense of it either:
"$\frac{n!}{n^2} Sum_{\mu \vdash n} \prod_{j=1}^{\infty}
\frac{n^{\mu_j}}{{\mu_j}!(j-1)!^{\mu_j}}$".  In the sum, it appears
that mu is a simple integer, but inside the product it is treated as a
sequence.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com