A055779

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Jun 13 04:05:42 CEST 2006

OK.  It didn't occur to me that having put 1,2 together in a part, you
would have an edge connecting one of them to a neighbor.  I was
expecting that you would simply have an edge connecting the entire part
to its neighbor.

Your other assumptions are correct.  People often use "free tree"
instead of just "tree" precisely because rooted trees are very common
in certain contexts, to the point that the "rooted" gets left off.  By
having a separate modifier, the reference is always unambiguous.  (It
was, in fact, the graph theory context that led me to think that you
probably meant free trees.)

Thanks for the prompt response.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters