Sequence A112088 Motivation and Example?

Graeme McRae g_m at mcraefamily.com
Sat Jun 10 01:26:03 CEST 2006

It took me quite some time to understand how Ranier Rosenthal is counting
rounds, before I obtained A112088 as the number of rounds necessary to kill
all but one of n players of the Josephus Game with every third man out.  I
first tried using Hugo Pfoertner's idea where the final survivor counts the
times he was passed by the executioner including the final rendezvous.  But
that method gives an entirely different sequence (A005428:
1,2,3,4,6,9,14,21,31,47,70,105,158,...).  Then I realized it's the last
*victim* who counts the number of times he was passed, including the final
unfortunate rendezvous.  Presumably, he gasps the number with his last
breath as he falls to the ground.  The last victim counts either the same
number or one larger than the survivor, depending on where he stood
initially, relative to the survivor.  (In case you were worried, no actual
people were harmed in any of my experiments; I used gerbils.  I glued their
feet to the table so they wouldn't leave their spot before I killed them.
The only hard part was getting them to say the number of times I passed them
as they were dying.)