request for advice

Emeric Deutsch deutsch at duke.poly.edu
Sat Mar 11 14:07:47 CET 2006

Here are a few thoughts:
1. One has to be tough.

2. Let's not be personal (limiting to a certain person the number
of contributions).

3. List examples of types of undesirable sequences:
(a) numbers n such that n and 2n+1 belong to AXXXXXX;
(b) (3n^2-n-2)/2;
(c) numbers n such an+b is prime;
etc. etc. etc. etc.

4. Contributors should avoid as much as possible definitions
that include AXXXXXX. They should take the trouble to give a
self-contained definition and should mention AXXXXXX only in
the comments.

5. I think that prospective authors should ask themselves:

can I envisage this sequence appearing in some book or journal?

If the honest answer to this is a NO, then, with some exceptions,
the sequence should not be submitted.

Emeric