request for advice

wouter meeussen wouter.meeussen at pandora.be
Sat Mar 11 12:38:22 CET 2006

dear Neil & SeqFunners,

as the OEIS gets bigger, the law of diminishing returns inevitably sets in. Most low hanging fruit
is gone.
Time to start worrying about dilution effects and protecting what's already in there. Sure, the
presence of silly seqs doesn't diminish the usefullness of the OEIS *much*, since the search
function will find hits when needed. But, it does diminish the accessibility for offline searches by
downloading a copy of the database (and screening for eq. Generating Functions or recursions).

I suggest you guard the compactness as an asset too.
Alternatively, you might envisage a separate database file for the uned, base, dumb.

As a contributor that once in a while gets a bit of a rebuke from this list for half-cooked or
close-to-raw stuff, I can recommend the screening by peers. If a big load of such sequence
suggestions were to be sent to seq-fan, I think the list moderator would not hesitate long before
doing something drastic.

best regards,

W.