Conjugate m-dimensional partitions

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun May 14 17:45:57 CEST 2006

I should, first of all, have stated that more clearly.  The actual
condition is that n <= m+2+floor((m+1)/2)

If T(n,m) is the number of m-dimensional partitions of n, up to
conjugacy, then T(n,m) - T(n,m-1) is the number which actually require
all m+1 dimensions for the diagram.  In other words, each of the m+1
points with a single 1 coordinate and all others 0 must be present; the
origin must also be present.  This is m+2 points.

Now as we increase n above m+2, the first points we can add are of two
types: those with a single 2 coordinate, and those with two 1
coordinates.  This means that at most 2(n-(m+2)) dimensions can be used
by these additional points.  Any other points don't add any new
dimensions.  (It doesn't matter which ones, because we are only
concerned up to conjugacy.)  Since m+1 dimensions are available, the
value is fixed when m+1 >= 2(n-(m+2)); this gives the specified
condition.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters