Categories

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 23:55:44 CET 2006

This actually relates to the enumeration results I've made on "prime"
endofunctions, namely endofunctions which are not unions of other prime
endofunctions nor categorical products of endofunctions. My partial results
here are in A125024, A124023, and a comment on A048888 that I submitted a
day or two ago about the enumeration of prime endofunctions in terms of
numbrals.

I have been working on enumerating not just endofunctions, but
(categorically) endomorphisms of endofunctions, (2-categorically)
endomorphisms of endomorphisms of endofunctions.  I've been posting partial
results on John Baez's "n-category cafe" and apparently just annoyed John
Baez, who didn't yet see that I was finding a new combinatorial result at
the base level (endofunctions) and working on the n-category hierarchy above
that, so those comments may already have been deleted from his blog.

That is, in counting all categories on n objects, most are trivially the
union of smaller disjoint categories (that is, the sagittal digraph is not
connected), or categorical products of smaller categories.  They key to
enumeration involves thus both a tree-enumeration, and the numbral part
which, per a recent paper in the Journal on Integer Sequences, relate to
balanced ordered trees.

Hard to summarize less cryptically, here, but I stand by in support of what
you're doing, and think my approach is genuinely related.

-- Jonathan Vos Post