Categories

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 17:51:12 CET 2006

One should also count loops, i.e. an arrow from an object to itself.

Then there are 2 categories on one object, with and without the loop:
Notating V(C) = the vertices in category C (which we label in this
illustrartion but enumerate up to isomorphism, i.e. on forgetting labels;
and L(C) is the set of loops of C, and A(C) is the set of (proper) arcs.
That is, I've separated the loops out from their being a mere subset of
arcs, to aid in enumeration. Then each category is, for this enumeration, a
triple: C= V(C) U L(C) U A(C).

C_1,1 = (1,null,null);
C_1,2 = (1, 1->1,null).

There are 6 categories on 2 objects:
C_2,1 = ({1,2},null,null);
C_2,2 = ({1,2},null,(1->1))
note that the above is isomorphic to C_2,2 = ({1,2},null,(2->2))
C_2,3 = ({1,2},{(1->1),(2->2)},null);
C_2,4 = ({1,2},null,(1->2)) which is isomorphic to C_2,4 =
({1,2},null,(2->1));
C_2,5 = ({1,2},(1>1),(1->2)) which is isomorphic to ({1,2},(2>2),(2->1));
C_2,6 = ({1,2},null,(1>1),(2->1)).

There do seem to be 35 categories on 3 objects, which are essentially the
same as the 7 endomorphisms on 3 objects, with each loop either left in, or
thrown away.

The combinatorics are now straightforward.  We have the endofunction
enumeration, and binary choices on each loop.

I have many, many pages of drawings of these, but not wanting to either scan
them (not having a scanner) nor write out the explicit sets as above.

Is this clear enough, though, to proceed?

-- Jonathan
C_2,2 = ({1,2},(1->1),null)