Sports Nemesis Sequence

cino hilliard hillcino368 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 02:21:09 CEST 2006

Hi,
It just happened again - my just punishment or nemisis. Actually, it should
be called my anathema or
object of hate. Let me give you some background.

In baseball, let the home team be winning and the visitor be batting in the
top of the 9th inning.
Now if the visitor does not score in the top of the 9th, POOF, the bottom of
the 9th is not played.

That bothers me.

Well, today a similar thing just happened a few minutes ago. The Redskins
and Jaguars were tied
30-30 in OT. the Redskins scored a touchdown and POOF, the extra point was
not attempted so
the score was 36-30.

This bothers me too.

It seems to me the fans are getting short changed in these events.

In fact, this makes me so mad I could eat fried chicken!

I wonder what effect a change in this policy would have  on the record
books. I also wonder what
the odds are of these events happening?

Perhaps we could construct some sequences of baseball games played by year
such that the game
only lasted 8 and.1/2 innings. The data should be out there but it may cost.
I think these would
be interesting. There would of course be the variation of extra inning game
1/2 inning scrubs.

The football case would be harder and less interesting.

Have fun,
Cino