Counting n-gons

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 06:55:50 CEST 2006

Dr. George Hockney (ex-Fermilab, now JPL) responded to my suggestion that
the representative of each equivalence class of deformed polygons with the
same edge-sequences be that with largest area that: (1)  this might not be
unique, and (2) that the maximum area (1, 1, 2, 2) quadrilateral is the
(1+1=2, 2, 2) equilateral triangle of area sqrt 3, where the two edges of
length 1 make an angle of 180 degrees, and asks if that equilateral triangle
with a vertex in the middle of its side is really a quadrilateral, or is
that another ambiguity in equivalence of polygons under geometrical
similarity? He is also dubious that the integer-edged polygonal knots in R^3
are really polygons, as I've stated.

I agree with David Wilson's sequence.  What about a sequence table of
maximal areas of all simple integer-sided k-gons of perimeter n?

-- Jonathan Vos Post