This would be nice

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Oct 9 20:18:42 CEST 2006

I think this would be a good idea.

To make it work requires changes at the receiving end, as well as for
the
sender.  What I think would be needed is software which shows the
changes in either of two formats: side by side with the original text,
and
with changes shown as insertions and deletions, with color/font coding
(e.g., insertions in green, deletions in red and strikethrough).  Color
coding for the side by side format would also be good, and either way
there should be change bars in the margins.  I assume that Neil would
prefer to see this in the internal format, but an option to view the
long-
form display might also be useful.

 From there, it should be possible to accept or reject individual
changes,
and to edit the entry.  Rejecting the change entirely should also be an
option, of course.

I'm not sure how much of this could be found off the shelf.  Certainly
there are a lot of programs that incorporate the basic technology.
Incorporation of the long-form display would clearly require custom
software, and probably some customization would be required to pull
the original sequence out of the database and insert the modified
sequence back in.

Perhaps somebody on the list is more familiar than I am with the
various
free software initiatives and knows what is available along these lines.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters