report, Oct 08 2006

Mitch Harris Harris.Mitchell at mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 10 21:58:53 CEST 2006

> Dear Seqfans
> I should not complain too much about the number of "Comments"
> that are submitted, because of course they are vital for maintaining
> the database.
>
> Yesterday (Oct 07 2006) I got caught up with the majority of
> comments and new submissions. New version of OEIS in about 10 minutes
> from now.

To save yourself time but continue to maintain control, I suggest a
move to a more hands-off 'moderated' plan. That is, make it so that
you have to do as little editing/modification as possible, just look at
a new/modified entry, and confirm or resubmit-with-modifications. This
could be aided by simple modifications to the submission page, which
returns the -entire- entry plus a list of the modifications (via diff).

> There is a new paper in the arXiv:
> Philippe Flajolet, Eric Fusy, Xavier Gourdon, Daniel Panario and
Nicolas Pouyanne,
> A Hybrid of Darboux's Method and Singularity Analysis in
> Combinatorial Asymptotics,
> arXiv:math.CO/0606370
> that has references to several sequences in the OEIS
> and also contains many new sequences that could be added,
> in case someone would like to do this. [I added just one myself,
> from page 27 line 4.]  If so, post a note here saying you
> will do this.

1) How do you -find- stuff like this? Leisurely perusing the arxiv?
Having it drop out of the sky?

2) Yes, many sequences are in there. Of those that are explicitly
written down (e.g. as a(0) + a(1) x + a(2) x^2 + ...) -all- were
explicitly mentioned as in the OEIS or (as your example not)...at least
from what I could tell. The problem (with what effort to exert) is that
there are many (countless?) implicitly mentioned sequences. This is
quite a difficulty in many such sources (especially, like in Harary and
Palmer, Graphical Enumeration, the summations are over nontrivial sets).

3) It is surprising that, given the effort of the authors to see if
their sequences already existed, they did not submit those that they
searched for and did not find.

4) OK, I'll do what I can, both new entries and comments (about
asymptotics) on old ones.

Mitch