OEIS down?

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Sun Oct 29 17:12:00 CET 2006

There may be multiple culprits, but I've had Yahoo unaccountably sit
on mail for TWO WEEKS!  I host my business eMail (& web site etc) on
Yahoo--as do several of the start-ups I work with.  The headers
during one of these massive snafus showed the delay was happening
between two of Yahoo's internal servers.  And other folks have
reported similar problems--eg I think Ed Pegg got so fed up he
finally moved mathpuzzle.com to a non-Yahoo host (I've been lazier,
but my default eMail return address no longer goes through
Yahoo).  So you might at least start by trying to eliminate Yahoo
from any critical path.

An alternative might be to submit the internal format, eMailing it
directly (instead of using the web page).  That way, you can CC
yourself, always have a copy without the manual cut-&-paste, and be
able to check a whole batch at once, later, when convenient.

The only thing eMailing the internal format loses is the congeniality
of the web form.  Hmm... come to think of it, it shouldn't be to hard
to make a little Java program that seqfans would run *locally* (ie on
their client machine, not the OEIS server), that would wrap the form
fields with the internal formatting and eMail it to the OEIS, CCing
whoever you want.  Anyone out there interested in hacking something like this?