"The Principle of Shrinkage"

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Sep 15 00:20:58 CEST 2006

Really, the incompleteness theorem means that this can't be true.

It isn't very hard to show that the general question of whether a
function converges is undecideable.

This means that the domains of functions where the principle
applies are all trivial (e.g., rational functions), or else membership
in them is itself undecideable - which isn't very useful.

The phrase "naturally occurring function" seems to be trying to
avoid this, but it doesn't work that  way.  You can't rule out
the exceptions without also excluding the interesting cases.

In this case "He challenged me to say I really believed that the
error might suddenly explode outside such bounds after such
extensive evidence of shrinkage."  Suddenly explode?  No.
Gradually diverge?  Unlikely, but possible.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters