Rosh Hashana Calculations

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 19:17:23 CEST 2006

I am one of the "offenders" who has not only asked the question that sparked
this discussion, but has also submitted many apparently  "vague" sequences,
such as those related to atomic weights.

On the other hand, one good reason to allow such sequences is to include
sufficient caveats in the comments as to show why the sequence is
ill-defined under reasonable assumptions.

A second good reason to include such sequences is to save people the effort
of trying to find a formula for a sequence that they have seen external to
OEIS, when the formula either fails to exist or has caveats.

A third good reason to include such sequences as the one in question is that
there are several calendrical sequences already in OEIS, and another brings
us asymptotically closer to closure.

A fourth good reason to include such sequences is that calenders are one of
the oldest sources of mathematical calculation by our species.

Finally, "artificially contrived" is even more vague and unyielding to
consistent definition, both between authorities and over time.

I believe that the system of God-Emperor njas atop the pyramid, associate
editors arrayed with him, feedback from sequence submitters, and emails from
seqfans is mature and robust enough to deal appropriately with such
concerns. What you say is true for you, but combines a problem of
subjectivity with an alleged institutional problem.

I have seen such arguments become angry indeed, as, for instance, when a
motion was formally voted upon (and lost) that "franchise novels" such as
Star Trek novels, Star Wars novels, and the like, should not be eligible for
Nebula Awards given by Active Members of Science Fiction Writers of
America.  There were many good and heated arguments pro and con at that
formal meeting of SFWA, but one compelling argument was that we should trust
the judgment of our professional membership.