Mathematically defined sequences

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Sep 26 20:10:26 CEST 2006

The OEIS has never been restricted to mathematically defined sequences.

As far back as A000052 we have "1-digit numbers arranged in
alphabetical
order, then the 2-digit numbers arranged in alphabetical order, then
the
3-digit numbers, etc."  And A000053 is "Local stops on New York City
Broadway line subway."

If I had been the one to start it, I probably would have restricted it
mathematically defined sequences.  I won't say that Neil was wrong to
do
it the way he did, however; there are strong arguments on either side.

I have argued that there should be a keyword for non-mathematical
sequences.  It would not, I think, be necessary to add this keyword to
the sequences that have the "word" keyword, but it would be useful
for the remaining cases.  If nothing else, it might prevent this exact
argument from breaking out periodically.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters

(I have changed the subject line; this has nothing to do with Rosh
Hoshana
any more.)