Additive sequences

Edwin Clark eclark at math.usf.edu
Wed Sep 20 18:20:19 CEST 2006

The terms additive function (resp., multiplicative function) are well
established in the number theory literature with the definitions

a(n*m) = a(n) + a(m) whenever gcd(n,m) = 1.

(resp.,a(n*m) = a(n)*a(m) whenever gcd(n,m) = 1.)

See, e.g., Harold Shapiro's Introduction to the Theory of Numbers

or just Google:  number theory "additive function"

--Edwin

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 franktaw at netscape.net wrote:

> I'm not sure it's a good name either.  My own preference
> would be "log multiplicative", since when you exponentiate
> such a sequence you get a multiplicative sequence.
>
> But "additive" is, as stated, already in use in the database.
> Barring a finding of the form "there's a lot of literature on
> these, and they're called X", it isn't going to change.
>
> Franklin T. Adams-Watters

  W. Edwin Clark, Math Dept, University of South Florida
           http://www.math.usf.edu/~eclark/