Non-mathematical sequences

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Sep 29 21:56:29 CEST 2006

This will probably be my last posting on this topic; I don't think it's
really very
productive.  But I thought I should explain what I meant and why I
posted my
list in the first place.

First of all, by "non-mathematical" I don't mean "having nothing to do
with
mathematics", but something closer to "not fully definable in purely
mathematical terms" - where "by us" is to be understood.  As a first
approximation, sequences whose definition refers to the physical world
(including cultural aspects, such as calendars) are included in the
list.  Another
way of putting this is, a non-mathematical  sequence is one where, if
the
universe was different, the sequence would be different.  I did not
include a
number of sequences of the number of compounds of some type, since, in
my opinion, the chemists have really abstracted to the equivalent graph-
theoretic definition in creating these sequences.

(Inevitably, in making any sort of judgement like this, there are
borderline cases.
You should not feel that you don't understand the meaning of a concept
just because there are cases where you are unsure of how to apply it.
Even
purely mathematical concepts get expanded to new areas, in ways that
may
not be immediately obvious.  Consider the extension of "prime" to
"prime
ideals";
with some understanding of the theory, the extension is obvious, but
just
from the definition it is not.)

-----
I compiled and posted this list with the idea that these sequences
should be
identified by a keyword.  I got an email from Neil, saying that that
might be a
good idea, but he has no time to do anything like that now.  My hope
would
be that having a keyword for this would stop (or at least greatly
reduce)
people complaining that this kind of sequence does not belong in the
OEIS.
At minimum, it would give us a quick answer to such complaints.  I
really don't
think that an index entry would accomplish this.

-----
Can the Universe be explained by equations?  That is very much an open
question, one that various philosophers and scientists debate.
Ultimately, it's
one of those things that we can never know for sure.  Certainly, the
Universe
can be approximated by equations, but that is not the same thing.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters