Request for more Python programs

Alec Mihailovs alec at mihailovs.com
Tue Jan 2 01:03:19 CET 2007

From: "Jaap Spies" <j.spies at hccnet.nl>

> And with SAGE you can still use Maple and Mathematica from within
> a unifying programming environment and have a dozen free open source
> math programs available: GAP, PARI, Singular, Maxima, Macaulay2, etc.

Well, I program in Windows (because I use a lot of assembler coding in MASM
and while theoretically speaking assembler coding could be done in Linux,
but practically there is no such a thing as MASM in Linux - and programming
in both gas and nasm is much more painful).

In Windows, I have no problems with using Maple, Mathematica, as well as
cygwin versions of GAP, PARI, Singular, Maxima, Macaulay2, etc. However,
SAGE doesn't work that well in Windows. If it is installed in colinux, Maple
and Mathematica are unavailable, as well as my assembler programs. In the
cygwin installation (not supported?), most of tests fail. Plus - it is not
well thought for the cygwin installation - in particular, I don't see a
point of duplicating programs from standard cygwin installation - such as
clisp, Singular, gmp, or even python.

Alec