Request for more Python programs

Jaap Spies j.spies at hccnet.nl
Tue Jan 2 01:21:51 CET 2007

Alec Mihailovs wrote:

> Well, I program in Windows (because I use a lot of assembler coding in
> MASM and while theoretically speaking assembler coding could be done in
> Linux, but practically there is no such a thing as MASM in Linux - and
> programming in both gas and nasm is much more painful).

You probably have your (good) reasons to program in assembler :-)

> In Windows, I have no problems with using Maple, Mathematica, as well as
> cygwin versions of GAP, PARI, Singular, Maxima, Macaulay2, etc. However,
> SAGE doesn't work that well in Windows. If it is installed in colinux,
> Maple and Mathematica are unavailable, as well as my assembler programs.

Maybe you can install Maple and Mathematica under coLinux. I did not try this
yet.

> In the cygwin installation (not supported?), most of tests fail.

For the moment there are a few problems with cygwin, maybe they will be
resolved in the near future.

  Plus -
> it is not well thought for the cygwin installation - in particular, I
> don't see a point of duplicating programs from standard cygwin
> installation - such as clisp, Singular, gmp, or even python.

The advantage is in the integration, especially in the notebook (GUI).
SAGE comes batteries included. I think this is a great idea.

Jaap