Request for more Python programs

Jaap Spies j.spies at hccnet.nl
Tue Jan 2 14:44:01 CET 2007

Alec Mihailovs wrote:

> Well, the executables are usually at least 10--100 times faster than if
> they were written in C, and 1000--1000000 times faster than the
> calculations in Maple, that allows getting a couple of additional terms
> for many (hard) sequences from the OEIS, for example.

In some cases choosing the right algorithm is of importance. In SAGE
you can speed up thing by using Pyrex, and eventually hook in
special libraries optimized for speed.

> That, probably, would be possible in, say, 20GB Debian colinux. There is
> no space for that (or for upgrading SAGE) in the 2GB colinux that comes
> with SAGE.

The 2GB colinux was/is there for convenience. The way to go is installing
the 20GB Debian.

> I certainly like SAGE and I think it is a great idea and it works great
> in Linux. Including batteries has sense for Linux, because many
> distributions come with rather old versions of other programs. In
> Windows, I already have all the latest version of "the batteries"
> installed, either native or cygwin - there are usually no problems with
> getting them, because they are usually distributed as binaries for
> Windows, with good installers and without need of compiling.

A problem with Windows is the cooperation of programs.

> The ideal solution for Windows (at least for me) would be if SAGE came
> as a standard Python library, without batteries included, so that it
> could be installed under native Windows Python and run in IDLE. Is there
> a chance that the development of SAGE could be forked for creating such
> a small SAGE version for Windows - without batteries included?

At a time there was a small distro, without batteries, but there were plenty
of problems with it.

There will be development for SAGE with cygwin.

One other option is to ssh to colinux running on your machine and use SAGE there.

Yet another possibility to integrate SAGE in your workflow is to run
SAGE as notebook on a server at a local network and hook your local browser in.
There is a SAGE live CD.

Jaap