puzzle family: values of parenthesized expressions

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Thu Jan 4 00:15:24 CET 2007

In general, Catalan(N) unique values cannot be achieved.

If the expression has 2 + operators, we can look at the
parenthesizations that group everything else first, giving us an
expression of the form a + b + c.  E.g., starting with 2 * 3 - 4 + 8 +
7 * 2, we can group ((2*3)-4) + 8 + (7*2), giving a = 2 * 3 - 4, b = 8,
c = (7*2).  Now, grouping this as either (a + b) + c or a + (b + c)
will produce the same result.

The same thing results when there are 2 * operators.

If there are 3 - operators, we can group to get a - b - c - d, and now
(a - (b - c)) - d = a - (b - (c - d)).

This means that Catalan(N) is not obtainable for N > 4.  But Catalan(4)
is also not obtainable: the only possibility is to have one +, one *,
and two - operators.  But if the + precedes either -, we can group as a
+ b - c, and (a + b) - c = a + (b - c).  So the + must follow both -
operators - and now we can group as a - b - c + d, and (a - (b - c)) +
d = a - (b - (c + d)).

Catalan(3) is obtainable: 1 - 2 * 3 + 4 gives the values {1, -1, -7,
-9, -13}.  Also, 1 - 2 * 3 - 4 gives values {1, -1, 3, -7, -9} using
just {- *}; however, {+ *} can produce Catalan(N) only for N <= 2.

There are some sequences in the OEIS relating to the number of possible
values you get when you just use exponentiation, with all numbers the
same.  See, e.g., A082499, which has links to some others.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters