puzzle family: values of parenthesized expressions

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 01:42:32 CET 2007

(This doesn't reach math-fun at mailman.xmission.com because I'm not a member.)

franktaw at netscape.net wrote:

> In general, Catalan(N) unique values cannot be achieved.

Depends on the operator. It does not need to be commutative.
Let's define (x @ y) = 1+ ( ( x + (x+y)^2 + 3y) / 2 )

Then (0 @ 0) = 1

(0 @ (0 @ 0)) = 3
((0 @ 0) @ 0) = 2

(0 @ (0 @ (0 @ 0))) = 10

etc.
See http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A071653
(The graph looks nice, like fractal clouds of smoke from an old steam
engine.
I have to compute a b-file for this.)

-- Antti