Request for more Python programs

Alec Mihailovs alec at mihailovs.com
Fri Jan 5 02:30:49 CET 2007

From: "Jaap Spies" <j.spies at hccnet.nl>

> From the todo list for SAGE-2.0 due in about 4 weeks
>
>   * William Stein: MS Windows -- support Cygwin fully (and only cygwin)

That would be definitely great. By the way, some python stuff (including
numpy, pyrex, and pygame) was ported to cygwin in the cygwin ports project,
http://cygwinports.dotsrc.org/  - some of that, perhaps, could be used.

Last couple of years, however, the development of cygwin/X stopped, and many
people started to look at the third alternative for Windows, beside colinux
and cygwin/X. I mean Microsoft Services for Unix,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_Services_for_UNIX with Xming,
http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/index.php .

That may be worth to take a look at (for SAGE-3.0) because Microsoft
Services for Unix became a part of Vista.

>   * Jaap Spies, etc.: code for OEIS (online encyclopedia of integer
> sequences)

That certainly looks great. I can only imagine how much work that requires,
Jaap.

Best wishes,
Alec