Re: Aîon and Chronos

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:18:16 CEST 2007

I speak of your mathematical work: "It appears self consistent,
correct, and, to me, interesting."

Regarding Time, I have taught several hundred adult students a course
on "Time Travel: Math, Physics, Fiction" using as textbook:

Time Machines: Time Travel in Physics, Metaphysics, and Science
Fiction, by Paul J. Nahin, Springer-Verlag New York, 1993.

There is greater clarity in studing primes, and asymptotic limits of
real functions, than in the Philosophy of Time, or, perhaps, any
Philosophy.  So I shall for some time restrict my seqfans comments to
Mathematics and Integers.

Classically:

"... But the position of these and similar authorities is made clear
by Boethius, who says (V De Consolatione prosa 6), "When some people
hear that Plato thought this world neither had a beginning in time nor
will ever have an end, they mistakenly conclude that the created world
is coeternal with the Creator. However, to be led through the endless
life Plato attributes to the world is one thing; to embrace
simultaneously the whole presence of endless life is quite another,
and it is this latter that is proper to the divine mind." [PL 63,
859B]

Sourcebook:
Thomas Aquinas:
On The Eternity of the World
(DE AETERNITATE MUNDI)
DE AETERNITATE MUNDI [[1]]
Translation (c) 1991, 1997 by Robert T. Miller[[2]] </a>

Since people are posting sequence puzzles on seq.fan lately, I thought I
would post this sequence puzzle of a different varity.

I suspect this 'puzzle' is easy, and I'll probably regret I posted this.

---

Let {c(k)} be as defined at sequence A022940. ({c(k)} itself is not in
the EIS.)

Define sequence {a(k)} as follows:

Let b(n) = c(n) - n + 1.

a(1) = the number of 1's in {b(k)}. a(2) = the number of 2's in {b(k)}.
In general, a(n) = the number of n's in {b(k)}.

So, {a(k)} begins: 0,1,1,3,5,6,7,9,...

Define {a(k)}. (Define it in a simpler way than by the steps given above.)

Thanks,
Leroy Quet