RE : End of infinite sequence

Eric Angelini Eric.Angelini at kntv.be
Tue Jun 5 23:22:43 CEST 2007

Hello Maximilian,

> In every existing encyclopedia, choices must be made
> and are made on what to include, and what to omit

... yes, I think this has been already discussed before ;-)

> there's so much arbitraryness in that definition...

... yes, I fully agree, but... Three remarks:

- I have a rather known predecessor who proved a few inte-
resting things by means of words transformed into integers,
and even by long (german) statements transformed into single
(huge) integers, and (also) by means of self-referentiality;
- "mathemagicians", have to re-enchante the world; show this
sequence to some youngsters -- you will see how their eyes
will soon blink, how their smiles will open after a few words
of explanation. Self-reference is always fun, tricky, weird.
I guess the OEIS is there for that too;
- The same remark (to re-enchante the times) is valid for
infinite sequences "having no start" but a precise end. Do
you know many of those? Show the problem the other way round
to those youngsters (if they are still there): "Could you
folks figure out an infinite sequence -- by the left?" They
will probably say it is impossible -- the smartest ones
hopefully reversing an existing OEIS seq (as I stated in my
very first post).

So, I've sent this seq to the list hoping to raise half a
smile somewhere, and give some stuff to present (or future)
imaginative "mathemagician teachers". We must share our
enthousiam for math -- and I think this "arbitrary", "chan-
ging with time", "concatenated", "discarding", "english/
latin" sequence is, well... nice, in a crtain way ;-)
(showing how the seq. can be "translated" in other languages
is of interest also, no? I have a french and an italian
version available for anyone interested ;-)

My two re-enchanted cents.
E.
[this sequence has been tested on fully aware and accepting
teenagers; none of them has been hurt; all European laws
about student working hours and student overtime have been
respected. All characters except Kurt Gödel and the two Maxes
are fictive. Music (directed and composed by CPU & Fan) is
available at Amazon.com. Computed on location in Brussels,
Belgium. This mail can be reproduced anytime anywhere in part
or in full -- having in mind it weights 0,037 ECMT (Equivalent
Carbon Metric Ton)]