many seqs need editing

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Mon Jun 4 17:31:29 CEST 2007

Confession of a Usual Suspect:

I've just been told half a week ago that I have another Math-related
job, not prestigious at all, but socially valuable to my community.

I must be one of "the usual suspects."  Neil posted 2 of my seqs from
1 June 2007, and 2 from 2 June 2007. I'd guess that 2 of those 4 are
uninteresting to many, so I apologize.  However, 1 arose from a
constructive reply to a seqfans discussion about poygonal numbers, and
not just "off my own bat" as cricketers would say.  One came from a
lovely arXiv paper.  Hence I believe that at least some of my seqs are
driven by precisely the collegiality that is so much more social that
a lone person submitting what pops into their head, unconnected with
the printed or online literature.

I adore Mathematics, and spend a good fraction of my time working
collaboratively with other mathematicians and scientists on research
that gets published in peer reviewed journals and conference
proceedings. Some of my seqs are side-effects of those as
pre-publications, and the paper later cites OEIS. When Neil, or
seqfans, dubs one of my seqs "dumb" or "less" then I take that
feedback seriously.  I hope that I didn't literally make Neil J. A.
Sloane sick!

Starting later this month, I'll be teaching Math at a bottom-ranked
high school summer school in a deeply dysfunctional school district.
Those kids need to learn Math correctly: from someone who knows it,
does it every day, and loves it. I used OEIS in my teaching at
Woodbury University.

Do the techniques I used for 5 semesters teaching Math to university
students, some taking the same class the 2nd or 3rd time, applicable
to helping younger students, mostly poor, Hispanic, and
African-American?

I'll let you know by the end of August how this experiment worked out.

Bottom line: I am devoted to Math, and to popularizing it to people
considered to be at the bottom, as well as professional Mathematicians
and seqfans, so many of whom outrank me in knowledge and standing.

Thank you for your kindness and consideration.