Fwd: No string of digits divisible by k

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 20:21:26 CEST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Maximilian Hasler <maximilian.hasler at gmail.com>
Date: Jun 12, 2007 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: No string of digits divisible by k
To: Eric Angelini <Eric.Angelini at kntv.be>

Eric,
in case you intend to submit this, consider rephrasing the definition
in a way making it a clear and precise definition:
"having a string of digits divisible by 3" is very ambiguos
1/ the only digits divisible by 3 are 0,3,6,9

2/ zero is divisible by 3 so zeroless is useless
(btw I'm not sure if this word exists)

3/ a "string" divisible by 3 ? Strings are not numbers ! A string may
be divided (split up) in substrings...

4/ I think you mean "substring"

5/ The sequence IS finite and there are no terms with more than 2
digits: the remainder of a(n) divided by 3 is 1 or 2, and the same is
true for the first and last digit ; so removing either one or both of
these digits, you get a "substring" divisible by 3.

Maximilian