Fwd: No string of digits divisible by k

Robert Israel israel at math.ubc.ca
Wed Jun 13 00:48:15 CEST 2007

... and similarly to have no substring of digits divisible by k,
where gcd(k,10) = 1, the integer can't have k digits.  For if
you consider the numbers A(m) consisting of the last m digits
for 1 <= m <= k, either all A(m) mod k are distinct, in which
case one must be == 0 mod k, or two (say A(m) and A(n) with
m < n) are in the same residue class mod k, in which case the
number consisting of the digits in A(n) but not A(m) is divisible
by k.

Cheers,
Robert