a new puzzle sequence

Joshua Zucker joshua.zucker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 04:47:21 CEST 2007

This is another Neopets (http://www.neopets.com ; registration
required) "Lenny Conundrum".  I think the multiplying by the square
root is a reasonably plausible theory.  There'll be a solution posted
there in a few days, usually they post on Wednesday or Thursday, so we
can see if they were thinking the same thing we were.

"Ask Dr. Math" always gets the same question a bunch of times when
there's a math-y Lenny Conundrum.

Anyway I'll go pick up the info from neopets.com once the solution is
posted there.
--Joshua Zucker

On 6/25/07, N. J. A. Sloane <njas at research.att.com> wrote:

> this was submiited today
>
> i have no idea where it originated
> - any ideas, anyone?
>
> %I A000001
> %S A000001 408, 571, 332, 377, 577, 989, 664
> %N A000001 What comes next?
> %O A000001 0
> %K A000001 ,bref,hard,nonn,tabl,unkn,
> %A A000001 Patricia (epccgurl at yahoo.com), Jun 25 2007

numbers meaningful only at that site.

Wow.  I pasted it into Google which took me to a Yahoo! Answers
page.  One explanation I found there was *uniquely* illuminating:

"It's a conversion of the pathagorial triangle in relation to
pascal's triangle. What they did was take the sine of the angle
formed by the frame of the longest arm of pascal's triangle, and
devided by the distance covered by pascal's third row. Just keep
deviding the rows..."

(Why did it never occur to me before now that Pascal's triangle had
angles you could take the sine of?!<;-)