Sequences A120588 - A120607 : Formulas?

deutsch deutsch at duke.poly.edu
Tue Nov 13 01:36:23 CET 2007

standard terminology)
    binom(kn,n)/[(k-1)n + 1]  (n=0,1,2,...)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:43:22 -0800
From: Dean Hickerson <dean at math.ucdavis.edu>
To: seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr
Subject: Re: duplicate names

Rainer Rosenthal wrote:

> A000446 Smallest number that is the sum of 2 squares in exactly n ways.
> A016032 Least number which is the sum of two squares in exactly n different ways.
>
> In my opinion both descriptions are equivalent. But the sequences are
> not equal and both of them lack a description.

I haven't checked all of the terms, but I think that A000446 allows 0 as a
square, and A016032 does not.  E.g. 25 = 0^2+5^2 = 3^2+4^2 is the smallest
number with exactly 2 representations if 0 is allowed, and 50 = 1^2+7^2 =
5^2+5^2 is the smallest if 0 is not allowed.

Dean Hickerson
dean at math.ucdavis.edu

It looks like A000446 treats 0 as a square and A016032 does not.

In other words A016032 knows only 1 way to represent 25 as sum of 2 squares:

25 = 9 + 16

but A000446 knows 2 ways:

25 = 0 + 25
25 = 9 + 16

And this difference is not born out in the titles.

Christian