OEIS links in the Wikipedia

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Mon Nov 19 14:20:29 CET 2007

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

Seqfans,

This is not the place for an extended discussion of Wikipedia,
so I will keep it short and simply post the following link to
a site where people may get more information and discuss the
questions that arise about the underbelly of this project:

http://wikipediareview.com/

As a person with 2 years experience editing and observing
Wikikpedia, which I made the mistake of editing under my
real name, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey ,
and as the much-wounded veteran of several projects that
tried to improve Wikipedia's treatment of textbook academic
and technical knowledge, not to mention the professionals and
scholars who try to contribute and maintain that knowledge in
Wikipedia, let me just give the following few bits of advice:

1.  Do not under any circumstances edit Wikipedia under your real name.

2.  If you are a peson of some note in some area and you find yourself
    with a Wikipedia article about you, look up the appropriate address
    on the page about Wikipedia's Biographies of Living People Policy:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons ,
    and file a request immediately to have the article removed.

Many Regards,

Jon Awbrey

Brendan McKay wrote:

> On this subject, someone previously claimed there might be problems
> with Neil inserting links to OEIS himself. As someone with extensive
> Wikipedia experience (under a pseudonym, don't ask), I'd like to
> refute that. Since OEIS is a highly respected encyclopaedic source,
> links to it will never be challenged on such grounds (but only on
> grounds of relevance, etc).  The situation is quite different from
> that of personal web pages.
>
> Brendan.