3D analogue of A124278

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 01:10:37 CEST 2007

I just used the old Math tools: paper, protractor, ruler, scissors,
Scotch tape.  I easily built an integer tetrahedron with two right
angle triangle faces.

Start with a (3,4,5) triangle.  Tape that to a (5, 12, 13) triangle
along the common edge of length 5.

Now, tape a (non-right) (4,13,14) triangle along the common edge of
length 4 with the (3,4,5) and a common edge of length 13 with the
(5,12,13).  Now we see the 4th triangle (trickier to tape the missing
trinagle in place, unless maybe one uses something more rigid than my
paper, perhaps cover stock or cardboard): it is a (3,12,14).

The edge lengths, sorted, are nicely 3,4,5,12,13,14.

It should be fairly straightforward (as the constraints to avoid
degeneracy are obvious) to compute a list of such possible integer
tetrahedra, ordered by the shortest edge, or by the sum of the lengths
of 6 edges.

It is slightly trickier to do this for the 2 topologically different
pentahedra, the 7 topologically distinct hexahedra, and so forth.
Surely Mathematica in the right hands, with a better brain than mine,
can do so?  This would, it seems to me, make several prtty sequences
from elementary Solid Geometry.