digraph with fixed outdegree and no directed 1-, 2-, or 3-cycles

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Sep 28 10:17:24 CEST 2007

Well, a(n) <= 3n+1.  Just arrange 3n+1 points on a circle,
with each pointing at the next n points around the circle.
So if your conjecture is correct, a(n) = 3n+1 (which is A016777).

I suspect that this is the answer, but I have not been able to
prove or disprove the conjecture.  (More precisely, I proved it
twice and found three counter-examples, but all were flawed.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters