dupe: A129589==A104006

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Fri Sep 28 10:49:25 CEST 2007

Dear Franklin,

This is a special case of the famous Caccetta H\"aggvist conjecture from
1978:

Conjecture: Every simple digraph on n vertices with outdegrees at least r,
has a directed cycle of length at most n/r.

The special case where n=3r, which coincides with your conjecture, has
received a lot of attention, but is still an open problem.
It is not even known if directed graphs with both in- and out-degrees at
least n/3 must have a directed triangle (or 2-cycle or loop)!

See for instance:

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~west/openp/cacchagg.html
http://www.aimath.org/WWN/caccetta/caccetta.pdf

or google