Tower of Hanoi with random moves

Martin Fuller martin_n_fuller at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 5 18:11:33 CET 2008

The transition graph of towers of Hanoi is a like the iterations
towards Sierpinski's triangle.  It is made from three copies of the
(n-1) transition graph connected at the corners [Ian Stewart, The
Magical Maze]. The corners correspond to all the disks on the same peg.

Transition graph with 2 disks:
       / \
      B---C
     /     \
    D       E

I think it ought to be possible to generate a recurrence for the
sequence using this self-similarity, but it seems messy.  Any takers?

Martin Fuller