666 and godly numbers

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 00:58:51 CET 2008

How about:
%N a(n) = Number of positive integers which do not have 'n' (written
in decimal) as substring in their expansion in any base b>1.
%C To ensure the sequence is well defined, we let a(n)=-1 if there is
an infinite number of numbers not having 'n' as subsrting in their
expansion in any base.
(I conjecture that this case never happens.)

%e a(0)=1 since 1 is the only number which does not have "0" in its
expansion in any base
%e a(1)=0 since any positive integer m has the substring "1" in its
expansion in some base (namely, for m>1, as leading digit in base m).
%e a(2)=1 since 1 is the only positive integer which does not have the
substring "1" in any base
%e a(3)=2 since 1 and 2 are the only positive integers which do not
have the substring "3" in their expansion in any base.

Then the current question is that of a(666) (or a(616), or a(888))

Maximilian
PS: I admit that the "n (written in decimal)" is 'base' and as such
very unnatural...