Happy pi day

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Tue Mar 18 00:15:05 CET 2008

Hi again,

* Artur <grafix at csl.pl> [Mar 18. 2008 09:56]:
> Hi Joerg,
> Mathematica number= N[((quantity)), n] rounding in base 10

Correct rounding guaranteed?
(I'd be surprised).

> Recognize[] is giving smallest polynomial which after rounding is equal
> number

You mean the number is a _root_ of the polynomial.

If so they sure use LLL internally and this does _not_
in general find the smallest basis.  It finds a small
one most of the time and this can be the smallest one.

> That mean that difference between
>
> (PrincipalRoot of polynomial Recognize[n]==0)-number <=1/2
>
> If I'm wrong let me know.
>
> BEST WISHES
> ARTUR

I find the sequence random and arbitrary.  It will give false
hits which is bad.  So you should consider having it deleted.

best regards,    jj