Gereralized GO

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Sat May 17 09:52:02 CEST 2008

------=_Part_9579_29655397.1211012278290

Hello,

On 17/5/08 05:05, "Brendan McKay" <bdm at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> I think using "groupoid" for something that is a quasigroup is just
> an error. Unless an eminent source can be found for it, I would
> recommend avoiding it completely.
>
> Brendan.

I believe that the use of the term "magma" and the shift in the definition
of groupoid(e)/mono=EFde is more common among French graduates as it was us=
ed
in
the Bourbaki treaties (and I checked all these terms were also in my own
french preparatory
class textbooks by Donnedu).

I personally like the poetic quality of "magma" to describe an almost inform
binary
operation, but as it has not been graced with the level of acceptance (as
Jeremy
search shows) of other Bourbaki neologisms, I do not think it would be a
good idea
spread further ambiguity. At least we have "corps" and "anneaux" and
"noyaux" over
"champs".

In view of these ambiguities, (and many others like rings (with or without a
unit), etc.)
we may need something like an ISO norm for sets with operations, algebra and
other structure names, listing axiom explicitely in a stable manner.

I take the opportunity to regret that nobody seems to use
"m=E9ri=E9drique" and "holo=E9drique" anymore. Camille Jordan was very fond=
 of
these ones.

Olivier

On 17/5/08 05:05, "Brendan McKay" <<a href=3D"mailto:bdm at cs.an=
u.edu.au" target=3D"_blank">bdm at cs.anu.edu.au</a>> wrote:<br>
> I think using "groupoid" for something that is a quasigroup =
is just<br>
> an error. Unless an eminent source can be found for it, I would<br>
> recommend avoiding it completely.<br>
> Brendan.<br>
t in the definition<br>of groupoid(e)/mono=EFde is more common among French=
 graduates as it was used in<br>the Bourbaki treaties (and I checked all th=
ese terms were also in my own french preparatory<br>

class textbooks by Donnedu).<br><br>I personally like the poetic quality of=
 "magma" to describe an almost inform binary<br>operation, but as=
 it has not been graced with the level of acceptance (as Jeremy<br>search s=
hows) of other Bourbaki neologisms, I do not think it would be a good idea<=
br>

spread further ambiguity. At least we have "corps" and "anne=
 of these ambiguities, (and many others like rings (with or without a unit)=
, etc.)<br>

we may need something like an ISO norm for sets with operations, algebra an=
d<br>other structure names, listing axiom explicitely in a stable manner.<b=
r><br>I take the opportunity to regret that nobody seems to use <br>"m=
=E9ri=E9drique" and "holo=E9drique" anymore. Camille Jordan =
was very fond of these ones.<br>
<<a href=3D"mailto:jeremy.gardiner at btinternet.com" target=3D"_blank">jer=
emy.gardiner at btinternet.com</a>> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0p=
t 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

The 2000 Mathematics Subject Classification returns no results for "ma=
gma",<br>
but see below results for "groupoid":<br>
c/</a><br>
Your search on groupoid returned the following results:<br>

------=_Part_9579_29655397.1211012278290--